Even if you’ve only been paying attention halfway, you’ve probably noticed a huge surge in talk about selling on Amazon or a program called Amazon FBA recently. That’s because Amazon gives individuals and companies a massive, global marketplace to sell to with very low entry fees. There’s little wonder that droves of people are rushing to find out all they can.
Did you know…
• Statsita.com reported that Amazon has 164 million visitors quarterly in the United States alone.
• Comscore named Amazon as the most popular site in Europe.
• USA Today placed Amazon as number six on its “10 Websites Where Surfers Spend the Most Time” list.
• The New York Times reported, “Product searches on Amazon have grown 73 percent over the last year while searches on Google Shopping have been flat.
Amazon can be a moneymaking machine… and there lies the problem.
When it comes to Amazon sales, breaking out of the overcrowded marketplace and establishing your products as different, better and worthy of buying is crucial. If you want to create better visibility and make more sales, one key element on your product listing page is the content.
Engaging titles, compelling bullets/features and product descriptions that make shoppers think, “Yes! This is the one for me,” are what will make your inventory steadily go down while your weekly bank transfers go up!
Here are 5 product listing strategies that can bring you significant success (taken directly from my e-course “Amazon Advantage: Product Listing Strategies to Boost Your Sales”).
① Position Your Products Differently – Differentiation is your Amazon advantage and the surprising secret to making more sales at higher prices. If your products look exactly like other products, most customers will default to buying the one with the most reviews and the lowest price. How do you figure out ways to set your product apart from the rest?
1. Bundle it with another product(s)
2. Mention another use others aren’t
3. Focus on benefits instead of features
4. Take the healthy approach
5. Take the fast approach
6. Take the easy approach
7. Take the affordable approach
8. Position it as family friendly
9. Position it as luxurious
10. Position it as a real value
11. Solve a specific problem
12. Relate your product to a news event
13. Relate your product to a celebrity
14. Relate it specifically to men, women
15. Offer a better guarantee
16. Offer free shipping
17. Make it Prime eligible
18. Give a bonus
19. Mention your Bestseller status (if applicable)
20. Mention that you have an enormous number of positive reviews (if true)
21. Offer a lower price
22. Offer more colors
23. Offer sets (if most others are open stock)
24. Offer open stock (if most others come in sets)
25. Relate it to vegetarians or vegans
26. Position it as allergy-free
27. Position it as dairy-, wheat-, casein, gluten-free
28. Position it as the latest technology
29. Position it for an age group (senior citizens, young kids, teens, over 50)
30. Position it for a medical condition (arthritis, high blood pressure, migraines, menopause)
② Build a Better Keyword List – The addition of just 1 targeted keyword to your list can drive droves of traffic to your products. Where do you find keywords?
• Look on Amazon’s site (in the dropdown menu in the search box)
• Search on Google
• Merchant Words (free and paid options)
In addition to the product itself, think about relevant holidays (Father’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Christmas), seasons and occasions (back to school) that would be a good fit.
③ Capture Attention with Enticing Product Titles – Your product title doesn’t just show on your product listing page. It also pops up in the Amazon search results page as well as Bestsellers pages and other places. In addition, Amazon counts keywords that are included in the title when considering where to rank products in its internal search results.
Your title is the first exposure shoppers have to your product so it needs to be descriptive and engaging. Think about the way you’ve positioned your product. Include words that allow people to experience the product, not just read about it.
A general guideline (not carved in stone) is:
Brand + Description + Classification (Item Type: Running Shoe) +Something Unique
④ Create Compelling Bullets/Features – When writing bullets (one of the most-read sections of the listing page) consider:
• Who you are selling to – What do they want/need when buying this product?
• What sets you apart from all the other products?
• What features/benefits can you list with regard to the product?
Sometimes I reverse the order and put the benefit first and then the feature to catch the shopper’s attention quickly. For example, “The Dream Series mattress reaches full inflation and firmness in under 4 minutes. It can be topped off quickly and easily, thanks to its patented 1-click internal pump.” Here’s another one: “You won’t struggle with unwanted sliding during the night. The ‘Sure-Grip’ bottom guarantees your inflatable mattress stays put.”
⑤ Develop Product Descriptions that Set You Apart – Answering the question, “Why should I buy from you instead of all the other sellers” is vital. Your product description should answer this question in detail. Do you offer a bundle that includes items no one else offers? Do your baking trays come with a free cookbook? Are you the manufacturer of your own products and no one else is allowed to sell them? Do you position your frozen food trays as a way to feed your family healthy food instead of being a mere storage unit?
If every other listing for French press coffeemakers is focusing on simply making coffee, position yours as a gourmet way to start your day. See ① for ideas.
Ready to take your Amazon sales to the next level? I’ve got lots more goodies to share in my course “Amazon Advantage: Product Listing Strategies to Boost Your Sales”. In under 80 pages, you can start implementing moneymaking tactics immediately. Save $10 today with coupon AMZ20 .